Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Now and Forever

[ A little bit of a back story... Last month we walked the 7th annual Keep the Beat Walk for It's My Heart New England. Our team, Team Unstoppable Jack raised over $4,000 and I can't tell you how proud and humbled I am by that figure. It was a beautiful day spent with family and friends that I will remember forever.. and I can't wait to do it all again next year. ]

So now that that's out of the way... 

When you have a child with a congenital heart disease, or I assume any type of serious medical condition, you're sort of thrown into this community of families with children like yours. Our CHD community feels pretty big, however there is one woman who sticks with me. I don't know her well. We've attended a few of the same heart family events. We've bumped into each other at the heart clinic at BCH a couple of time. She is also the first mother to reach out to me (thanks to IMHNE) and selflessly shared her sons story and offered me support. 

Her son passed away in April after a long and hard fought battle with CHD. 

Not even 3 months after his passing, she attended the Keep the Beat walk.. a walk they attended every year with him and an army of a walking team. I spoke to her briefly and told her how much I admired her strength.. how I couldn't believe she was there. She told me he loved the walk and how he looked forward to it every year.. how he just loved seeing everyone wearing his team shirt. She said it just felt wrong not to be there. 

I stood there in awe. Jack on my hip, I felt a wave of guilt come over me. And there she stood.. even if she didn't feel like a power house of confidence and strength, that's all I could see. I don't need to see the movie, I have met super woman in the flesh.

Her words struck something deep inside of me and will stick with me forever. A mother's love is amazing.. it transcends time, space and the physical world. Even in death, a mother will still consider her child.. and set aside her own pain, fears and discomfort for them. Everything we do is for them.. now and forever.

Team Unstoppable Jack!

So proud of his medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment