Friday, September 2, 2016

A Sobering Statistic

Last week Jack had his annual review with EI. He did amazing and didn't qualify to continue services with his scores.. However he does qualify on his diagnosis alone. I had to rummage through old paperwork from Children's so I could give them his specific diagnosis (or the laundry list of defects as I like to call it). I found a discharge paper and handed it over for them to take away and make a copy. After everyone left, I flipped through all the old papers and came across the notes a nurse wrote for us during our meeting we got his definitive diagnosis. And I came across this number..
It says the odds of Jack surviving long enough to graduate high school are 50/50. Without any other findings. Any other complications. 

I took the papers and pushed them as far across the counter as I could. We've been coasting for so long, it feels like Jack is just a healthy, typical little guy. Then things like this bring us back.. Remind us and keep us grounded. 

I hate that I have to read things like this. It makes me feel incredibly fearful for my sons life. What the fear does to my own heart and mind is indescribable. Alas we push on and just keep living. What other choice do we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment